Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2016

What my tattoo means to me

A lot of you have asked about my newest tattoo and the meaning behind it so I wanted to explain it to you! It's pretty simple and the entire tattoo was a tribute to my grandmother who passed away. But here is a couple photos of the process and the meaning behind it!

     I got an anatomical heart with a butterfly in the heart. Meaning "I carry you in my heart." The first time my grandmother visited me in a different form after she had passed, she came as a monarch butterfly. She flew up so closely to me and I spoke to her and said, "grandma if that's you, please stay there so I can come closer." I walked up to the butterfly and sat next to her and took as many pictures as I could. I knew it was her, I felt it my heart and soul. And she stayed there for quite some time as I chatted to this beautiful butterfly. That memory will never leave and I knew at that very moment I never wanted to forget such a magical memory. To the side of the heart I put my grandmothers hand writing that I got from a card she had signed and written me years ago.

     I always put rays around the heart, just like a sacred heart with have the rays coming from the top, this represented a twist of a sacred heart with the rays coming from the side.

and lastly, I got two types of flowers; chrysanthemum's and a peony;

The peony:

"The peony flower tattoo is another common staple of the Japanese style of tattooing. In Japan, they are referred to as the “King of Flowers”. This flower tattoo symbolizes elegance and wealth. Though often colored red in tattoo art, the peony tattoo can be a wide range of colors."

and the mum:

"This is another particularly popular flower tattoo that is most commonly associated with Japanese art. In Japan, the chrysanthemum is associated with royalty–namely the emperor, who sits on what the Japanese have titled the Chrysanthemum Throne. It represents perfection and, in some interpretations, deity.
The chrysanthemum is also symbolic of happiness or joy, as well as longevity. In China, the Chrysanthemum is associated with Taoism and represents simplicity and perfection.
Due to the fact that it blooms in autumn, there is also a symbolic representation of transitioning from life to death, or being between life and death. In Chinese culture, the chrysanthemum is given in congratulations, good will, or wishes for long life." http://richmondtattooshops.com/flower-tattoos-meaning/
Both have been two types of flowers that I thought were absolutely beautiful and usually you are drawn to something for a reason. After researching the meaning of each tattoo, I knew why.

This tattoo means SO much to me and came out absolutely perfect. You can follow my tattoo artist on instagram- @nolanhatton and book him at freedom tattoo in Watsonville, California. 

Here are some photos!






Thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment