Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2015

It's okay twonager, I understand.

 "He seems like he's a lot to handle."
 "How do you do it with two?"
 "wow you've got your hands full."

     These are comments I hear daily. Weather it is from my family when they see him have a meltdown or strangers in the grocery store watching me juggle my two boys. I think as a mother you are constantly learning just as much as your children are. Just because you are a mother doesn't mean you are always right. It doesn't suddenly make you know the right answer to everything. It doesn't make you "The Boss", it simply makes you a mother. It makes you someone that will always be looked up to. It makes you someone that should be soaking in just as much information as your child. It makes you someone that should learn to understand, forgive and accept.
     One thing I have learned and constantly tell Benjamin is, "It's okay, I understand, I understand how you feel, I understand you're mad, I understand you." I understand why he is hitting me when he can't explain to me what he wants. I understand why he is throwing himself on the ground when he is hungry and isn't aloud in the kitchen. I understand why he is extremely pissed that he can't go to the park the very second he decides he wants to go. I understand why he screams when he can't put a toy together. I understand why he throws a tantrum when he sees a toy that intrigues him. And though he will not always get his way, right away. I understand.
     My job is to then teach him to understand. To understand that I can't always make out what he is asking for. To teach him that though it is frustrating, hitting is not the answer. To repeat "eat" a thousand times a day, so he can communicate that when he is hungry, there is a word he can tell mommy. To teach him that he can't always get what he wants in a toy store, but maybe we can compromise. It is my job to understand him. To hear him when it may be difficult. To always have open ears, eyes, but most of all, an open mind. Because we are new to this together and everyday I am learning to understand. 







No comments:

Post a Comment