Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Why I let my children play with toy guns.

    Let me begin by saying not only do I let my child play with pretend guns, I also let him play with makeup, baby dolls, costumes, trucks, and any play toy that can spark his imagination.
     Not only is playing with toy guns simply pretend play, it is also very vital for my boys to understand the importance of guns not only as a toy, but the other uses as well. They are used as a game for young children, such as NERF or water guns, but also as a sport, a hobby, for protection and to hunt for your own food. Letting him play with this toy is not only letting him use his imagination but teaching him the simple rules of a gun, tradition and security.
     I grew up shooting guns as a hobby, and it truly is one of the best childhood memories I have. We would set up cans, bottles and cartons and make our own targets to go out and shoot together as a family. Not only do we continue to do so, but my son will now be a part of our tradition and I want him to feel comfortable with a gun and know the do's and dont's of a gun.
     I believe hiding this from him and telling him it is off limits will only stem a rebellious want for this object which could lead to mis using it and not truly understand the importance and positive uses of a gun.
     For children, playing with a gun is not about violence and fighting, it is about feeling heroic and powerful in that little body of theirs. It is about "Cops and Robbers" and "getting the bad guy". It is about using their imagination, playing and having fun. It is about having fun seeing water shoot out of the water gun and hitting a target with the soft ammo coming out of their NERF gun. It is about letting him use his imagination and empowering him as a child.
    Studies show no connection between childhood gun play and adult aggression. 

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Education is the key. So happy to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete