Pages

Friday, October 16, 2015

Decorating for the Holidays!



     Growing up I always saw my mom changing things around the house when the seasons changed. Even her wardrobe. I always thought she was crazy for doing what she did, but now I'm doing it too.

     Being a stay at home mom has really made me appreciate my surroundings. I am a total homebody and I like to make sure that the area and energy I am surrounded by is positive and up lifting. I love doing DIY crafts and holiday decor, but these days I just don't have much time. So here is how I get my home cozy, festive and inviting in a few short steps.

1. Have a major clear out. Get rid of everything in your home you don't need. Toys, clothes, pots and pans, containers, rugs, hangers, everything! If your home is clustered, its not going to be enjoyable trying to re decorate and put new items in it.

     Ive taken all my couch pillows and vacuum sealed them, so I can break them out again when summer comes back around! That way you don't feel guilty about that purchase and you can use them again! You can do the same with your winter decoration and never feel bad about switching things up. Keep them in storage or even in a spare closet you have in your home.

2. Once you've done that, target a room you want to re do first. So if it's your bedroom, do even more cleaning on the closet, book shelf etc. If its your kitchen clear out the pantry, fridge and mop the floors. and so on and so forth.

     For the holiday's I think its important to take the time and make sure the area you're in most is up to date. We live in a two story and were constantly down stairs in the living room. So this is the room that I'm always changing around and keeping pretty. Because the holidays are right around the corner, I've decided to switch everything up, and cozy up for the winter!

   
Now heres the fun part. A few simple tips on what to buy to completely redecorate your home.

1. Pillows, Pillows, Pillows. I can't say that enough. They are big, cozy and inviting. You can completely change the theme of your entire house by choosing a color scheme with pillows.

2. Lights. Drape them, shape them, or get fancy with holiday lights. Use candles, a fire place or any type of illuminating object that will brighten your home.

3. Rugs. These are a huge focal point and don't cluster up your home. Though white probably isn't the best color for a home with two boys, my white rugs completely brighten up my living space, especially because I have a dark carpeted floor.

4. Tables. I like to keep it simple with tables. You can totally DIY a table or buy one that you think is the perfect fit. Ill show you mine and why I love it so much.

5. Wall decor.

6. And lastly, throw blankets. Fluffy, colorful, edgy, these are always one of the first pieces people notice.

Okay! Now ill show you what I did to make my living room have a warm holiday feel, and how you can do this quick and easy too! Ill break down those steps a little bit as well, and show you how I used them in my home.


 Mirrored end table


This is a super simple way to jazz up the living room, add a centerpiece and also have a designated spot for holiday decor! Having the mirror end table also adds a little more space and lightening illusion. I also picked up this rug to set the table on. The rug matches the color scheme I decided on and also draws more attention to the table and adds space and shape.

Wall Decor


I still have my summer wall hangings up, so this is a transition photo but I picked up this "Believe, wish, hope" piece made of metal and a braided cord. I also have white christmas lights hanging, which I always have on.



Throw Blanket and Accent Pillow
Faux fur blanket and a bright accent pillow. This blanket not only matches the other white pieces I have in my home, but it adds so much character to a couch. Adding something like this to a plain couch really enhances it's look. And adding a bright pillow right on top just sets it off. 


Throw Pillows



 More pillows. I have a total of five pillows. Two matching white ones, two matching brown fur pillows and one red one. In size, one brown and one white match horizontally and the other two are a bit larger and also match in size. This way, not only do the colors pull together but so does the size.

Wall Decor
 I originally bought this piece to use as a paper tray but ended up using it on the wall! This is perfect to hang up grocery lists, chores etc. But I printed out a free "Naughty or Nice" printable to get in the holiday spirit! Im sure this would also be super easy to make or find a similar item at the goodwill and create something just like it.

Fireplace


So, Obviously this isn't a real fire place and not everyone has on in their home. What this is, is a heater that looks like a fireplace. The heat comes out of the bottom and you can adjust how hot it gets, how bright the flames are and the outside never heats up which is great for young kids. I bought this on www.qvc.com and made monthly payments! It's the perfect holiday feel!


     And, that's it! Re decorating can seem so stressful and over whelming but with these tips it will make it a breeze! Happy holidays!

xoxo, Lauryn





No comments:

Post a Comment